Crappies could amaze you beyond your imagination. Aiming for this little variety of fish is just as challenging as any of her bigger brothers. Many anglers fail at attempts to collect this whirring friskie because they think small sized fish don’t require any special equipment.
You couldn’t be any more wrong in underestimation. The best crappie reels could almost guarantee success at your attempts to catch this fish.
Baitcasting reels and spinning reels are predominantly utilized for hunting crappies. A successful catch depends more on speed than the power of the fishing reel. Although the specific fishing equipment for crappies feels light and just like an accessory, wait and watch until it makes you proud.
A bucket full of crappies for some genuinely priced additional equipment is a deal. And the joy of fishing these speckled runners is a bonus. We will guide you through the stuff to keep in mind while buying the best crappie reel to serve you. Before that, have a look at the ones we have shortlisted.
One Of These Is The Best Crappie Reel For You
- Best performance and high strength: KastKing Summer and Centron Spinning Reel
- Peculiarly designed with special features: Lew’s Fishing Mr. Crappie Slab Shaker Reel
- Lightest in weight, smoothest in action: Cadence CS8 Spinning Reel
Choose The Best Crappie Reel Like A Pro
There is no definitive rule when it comes to crappie reels but you should be on a lookout for some essential features which will actually ensure the desired performance during the chase.
You should be aware of the material you purchase and the weight of the reel as much as the quality of its drag and it’s line capacity.
The Material Of Your Reel Will Determine Its Strength And Longevity
Crappie reels are predominantly constructed out of aluminium and graphite. While the reels made out of aluminium will be more strong and lightweight, those made of graphite will be more flexible while offering optimum strength.
Aluminium reels will be more resistant to corrosion, especially if the metal is anodized. Graphite reels are more prone to corrosion damage and often have less longevity.
Choose That Reel Like You Have To Hold It In Your Hands All Day. You Have To.
A lightweight fishing reel will conserve your energy so that more of it can be focused on the chase. A heavier reel may feel light at the start of the day. Watch as it becomes unbearable after sometime.
Although crappie reels are supposed to be lighter than other reels in general, you must look for the lightest option according to your comfort. Reels made of aluminium will be lighter than other materials. Make sure your energy is not all drained in just holding the equipment on the shore.
A smaller and lighter reel is also important to easily detect the fish bite on the lure. A larger reel or a heavier overall equipment may just disturb the catch more than it could improve it.
A Smooth Drag System Is Essential To Catching More Crappies
A bad drag system will make the fishing line twist so you never make a smooth catch with ease. A good quality drag system will ensure that your draws are smooth and your line stays straight when cast. Also make sure that your drag system is sufficiently waterproof because it should be durable.
It is entirely upon your strength and capability to choose a front, rear, or a sealed drag system. You’ll get more power if you are adept in accessing the front drag system’s complexities. It will also provide you with more dependability and smoother operation.
It is easier to operate the rear drag systems but they offer comparatively more technicalities on ground while fishing. Crappie anglers especially prefer sealed drag systems because they are durable and reliable.
In addition to this, the line capacity of your crappie reel will determine how comfortably you dare to aim for more. A perfect fishing expedition never witnesses shortage of fishing line. Go for the highest line capacity available.
Any One Of These Could Be Your Best Crappie Reel
We have described in detail the features of KastKing Summer and Centron, Lew’s Fishing Mr. Crappie Slab Shaker Reel, Cadence CS-81000, and Pfleuger President Spinning Reel.
OUR TOP PICK
KastKing Summer and Centron offer spinning reels which may well be the cheapest and the best performing crappie reels out there. These metallic shaft reels offer incomparable strength while looking fashionably fancy and polished.
The core material of these reels is lightweight graphite. You may wonder that a graphite core would make this reel more susceptible to corrosion. That will never happen.
The outer metallic shaft of this reel is made of anodized aluminium which is quite resistant to corrosion damage and serves to protect the inner core graphite.
You can rely on this reel’s strength. It can sustain rough handling as will be while catching those notorious little monsters. You will be able to operate this reel comfortably for long durations.
This is because it is extremely lightweight. The best thing about this reel is this combination of optimum strength, flexibility, and lightweightedness.
The front drag system for this reel is quite superior as compared to other similar options. It is smooth and offers good ease to perfect casting.
The line capacity is about 240 yards which is adequate and more than enough for bringing down all the crappie you can in a day.
The smooth function of this reel is enhanced by the 9 superior quality ball bearings. Have a look at the pros and cons of this product to be more than sure.
- The surface anodized aluminium makes it durable and resistant to corrosion
- The inner graphite core ensures lightweightedness
- This may just be the most good looking crappie reel although this factor won’t attract the fish
- The front gear system is superior in quality
- This reel is smooth in function
- This is the cheapest crappie reel considering its excellent features and quality
- This crappie is considered ideal for young anglers and beginners
- Some users report that the knob on the handle is of a lower quality
- Many reviewers state that it may be difficult for some people to get used to the spool function
- This reel may not prove to be durable for a lifetime
- The drag system may be superior in quality but it isn’t waterproof
Constructed majorly out of graphite, this reel is as light as a crappie reel should be. And the lightweightedness doesn’t compromise on other important factors.
This reel is abundantly strong and durable. In addition to that, it has a larger frame and a comfortable handle for the ease of operation.
Contrary to what you may expect, the large frame provides no hindrance in the ease of handling this reel. It in fact enhances the reel’s stability while not adding any extra weight.
The structure of this reel is built to sustain rough handling as is obvious with crappie fishing.
Although getting used to the handle movements for this reel may be tough at the start, this problem is effectively compensated by its easy click adjustment feature for the fishing line.
In turn, this reel also has the largest arbor amongst crappie reels and a big line capacity. The drag system is efficient enough to ensure that a problem such as twisting of the fishing line does not occur.
The pros and cons for this reel will provide you more clarity.
- The simple click line adjustment is a commendable feature
- The frame for this reel is large enough to offer stability during function
- At the same time, this reel does not compromise on lightweightedness
- Many users review that this reel is ideally sensitive as is required for catching crappies
- The structure is protected from corrosion damage
- This reel can afford to be handled roughly
- The handle adjustment may be difficult to master at the beginning
- Some users report problems with the quality of spool
- Some people have often complained to the manufacturers about quality control
For an unbelievable price, Cadence CS-81000 offers too much to digest. This spinning crappie reel is lightweight and perfectly promising if you aim for a bucket full of crappies on your way back from a wonderful fishing expedition.
The structure of this reel includes a CMC frame that adds to the lightedness. Even the spool is made out of machined aluminium. The efficient drag system for this reel is built of carbon fibre.
Such intricate focus on weight reduction makes this reel the perfect choice if you are looking for comfort and ease.
But lesser weight is not the supreme quality of this product. The carbon fibre drag system utilizes high quality wave-spring technology to greatly enhance the ease of casting.
The reliable and efficient braking system of this reel is capable of catching fast and stubborn crappies back to back.
Cadence CS-81000’s drag system is not waterproof. Further models by this company offer efficient drag protection mechanisms for lesser prices but not this one.
Another significant feature of this reel is the ergonomic handle knob. This feature effectively simplifies the handling of this crappie reel. The handles of this spinning reel are also removable so that they can be tightened if they ever become loose.
This feature saves you from buying a whole new reel every few years because reel handles happen to loosen up with use.
The line capacity for this reel may be considered lesser than comparable crappie reels but the gear ratio is perfect for attempting a mighty catch. Have a look at the pros and cons to know this reel better.
- This crappie reel is very smooth in operation as compared to many other comparable reels
- The drag and braking systems will assure you satisfaction every time you go on a hunt for crappies
- The casting abilities of this reel are comparable to more expensive crappie reels
- The aluminium construction offers incomparable lightweightedness
- The important aspect is, this reel is strong and durable while being supremely light in weight
- The 9 stainless steel ball bearing system ensures smooth operation of this reel no matter how tough the crappies be
- The handles of this reel are removable so that they can be tightened if they loosen up
- The spool for this reel is also made of machined aluminium
- This reel is incredibly small in size, considering the variety of features it has to offer
- Cadence CS-81000 offers a real challenge to the more expensive reels owing to its great set of features for a way lesser price
- The drag system for this reel should have been waterproof like many other models offered by this brand
- The absence of waterproofing in the drag system reduces the long term durability of this product.
- The line capacity for this reel is quite less as compared to other comparable crappie reels. A line capacity of about 110 yards cannot be called large for crappie hunting.
- Many users report the unbearable noise this reel is capable of making after working for a long time
- The noise made by a fishing reel can also scare away the crappies which are already swift in escaping minute disturbances
- Some users report dissatisfaction with the braided line adjustments on Cadence CS-81000 Spinning Reel.
Best Crappie Reel Buying Guide
You Are Bound To Be Amazed On Your Next Day Out Hunting Crappies
Crappies are often referred to as little spotted monsters. Just any reel may work but never as well as a good crappie reel.
Fishing reels specifically built for crappies offer a definite advantage. They are built to tackle all the resistance crappies have to offer.
Any one of the above mentioned reels is bound to fulfil your desire for a great fishing day.
Choose the one that adequately fits your budget while incomparably being the best crappie reel you could hope for.