Flyers tend to think less about the quality of their fishing reel as compared to their fishing rod. Although, the most experienced fishermen will tell you otherwise. The sea has secrets and so does the perfect flyer.
If you aren’t aware, the quality of your fishing reel plays an equally important role. In fact, both the reel and the rod work hand in hand in getting you the perfect catch. We aim to assist you in choosing the best fly reels under 100 dollars.
Shopping for fishing equipment, you may have found yourself gaping in amazement at the very expensive fly reels which don’t really serve as much purpose as their price tag. We assure you, it is indeed possible to find trustworthy and good quality fly reels without poking a hole in your pocket.
Our Top Picks Promise To Be The Best Fly Reels Ever
- Efficient and minimalistic: Redington ZERO Fly Reel
- Durable and lightweight: Orvis Clearwater Large Arbor II
- Sturdy and economical: Sougayilang Fly Fishing Reel
- Simple and lightweight: Redington Crosswater Fly Reel
Your Best Fly Reel Is Bound To Have Some Essential Features And Qualities
Contrary to inexperienced beliefs, your fly reel is not just an accessory to hold your fishing line.
A good fly reel is built to smoothly offer you extra line in unprecedented fishing scenarios. This is why you need to pay attention to what you bring to the shore.
It Is Highly Impractical To Manage An Unsecured Line While Fishing
It is almost equivalent to catching fish with bare hands. You may choose to not be an extreme die-hard flyer and you may never need more than 50 feet of fishing line on your little endeavours but having an extra length in your reel does no harm.
It may as well get you a lucky fish at some lucky moment. You might owe the best catch of your life to a very efficient fly reel.
A Good Fly Reel Distributes Your Effort
This reeling in ability of fly reels also helps balancing the weight of the rod while chasing difficult fish. You do not have to depend on just your memory when you have google, do you?
Likewise, you don’t have to put the entire burden upon your own biceps and the fishing rod when your fly reel can smoothly reel in all the additional line you need.
There Are Mechanical And Manual Resistance Systems To Draw In Hooked Fish With Ease
That is not all your misjudged fishing accessory does. One major benefit of fly reels is their ability to offer resistance to the fish you have hooked.
Your fly reel could have a mechanical drag system which locks the reel in a position when you want. This offers more firmness to the fishing line locked between the reel and the hooked fish which enables it to be caught faster and with ease.
Simpler versions of fly reels achieve the same by enabling you to manually stop more releases of fishing line. You can press your hand against the reel in order to limit the line when the fish is hooked and pulling away.
We’d suggest you to buy fly reels with mechanical drag systems instead of relying on manual drags. This is because it may at times be difficult to use your hands firmly while concentrating on a swift clever catch, which is often the case.
There is one very important thing you should keep in mind while choosing a fly reel. Smaller fish will not require as much drag in order to make an easy and successful catch. If you are a beginner and your aim at present includes fish shorter than 18 inches in length, you can rely on manual drag systems.
A Big Catch Requires A Smooth Fly Reel
Mechanical drag actually comes handy for larger fish that always offer huge resistance to catch.
The smoothness of your fly reel will effectively contribute to how easily you make this catch. A rugged or frictional reel may just break the line and let the fish take away a prize.
One Of These Could Be Your Best Fly Reel Under 100 Dollars
We have listed the most trustworthy and reliable options for you while keeping your budget in consideration.
A good fly reel doesn’t have to be expensive. It only has to be excellent in quality.
OUR TOP PICK
Redington ZERO Fly Reel is the best option for anglers who don’t want any hassle in the handling of their fishing line.
With its simple design, this reel is often misunderstood to be comparatively incapable. This is not true. It is in fact the lightest efficient fly reel you would ever come across.
High quality, strong, and durable material has been used in its construction. Moreover, it is also light in weight. This has been possible because of an aluminium-anodized device that replaces the traditional drag and in turn reduces both the cost and the weight.
A lot of positive feedback has been received for this product. The only drawback being the manual drag system instead of mechanical. This one feature makes beginners prefer other fly reels which have the mechanical option.
Although experienced anglers report that this fly reel is easy to manage despite having a manual drag. This is because of the easy rubber grip on its handles that offers optimum hold even when wet. As compared to other reels, changing spools is very easy in this fly reel.
As an added benefit, Redington ZERO fly reel comes with a lifetime warranty. It is very uncommon to find such a promise of quality in today’s times.
We’d like to suggest that this fly reel will be considered efficient only while aiming for smaller fish. It is not meant for highly skilled professional fishing of very large catches.
According to customer reviews, we have figured out the pros and cons of Redington ZERO fly reel as follows:
- The handle has a rubber grip for the ease of handling
- This fly reel is perfect for catching fishes of small size
- It is very light in weight which greatly enhances the flyer’s comfort
- The material of construction is strong and durable
- The simple design makes it free of unnecessary hassle.
- There are a variety of colors to choose from
- The company offers a life-time warranty
- It is easier to change spools in this fly reel
- The material of construction is not immune to rust
- It is not possible to aim for bigger fishes with this reel
- The settings of the manual drag are fixed
- It does not have a mechanical drag system
This might just be the most flawless fly reel available under 100 dollars.
Even with a distinct and attractive design, this reel does not compromise on the overall strength and durability. The durability is further enhanced by a matte protective layer which offers protection from rust.
Orvis Clearwater Fly Reel has the largest arbor you’ll find in this budget. This means you don’t have to ever worry about running out of fishing line.
Not only this, it is also light in weight. This eliminates your excuse for not using a fly reel on your already heavy fishing rod. This fly reel comes with a disc based mechanical drag system which is sure to make you fall for it.
The integration of all these ideal features has been possible because of the material of construction which is a high quality aluminium type referred to as 6061.
While looking similar to the more expensive fly reel options, this reel will not require a lot of extra concern and care.
With less maintenance needs, more ease of handling, and perfect looks, this might happen to be the most attractive fly reel in this budget. And rightly so, it is quite difficult to find good quality and features for a lesser price.
Although this reel is not meant for use in saltwater, it can handle large as well as small fish. We have listed the pros and cons of this product so that you choose better.
- This fly reel offers adequate protection from rust
- This reel has been proven to have more strength and sturdiness than other reels in the same price range
- This reel is a combination of good looks and efficiency
- It has a mechanical drag system
- It does not need a lot of maintenance unless used in saltwater
- The arbor is larger than other competitive fly reels
- Other reels in this price range are known to be more light in weight
- This reel requires extra maintenance when used in saltwater
The materials used for the construction of this reel are so extraordinary that you wouldn’t want to believe its price. This fly reel is made of CNC machined 6061-T6 aluminium alloy.
This cold forged alloy construction provides sturdiness and incomparable strength to this reel.
On top of that, it’s anodized surface finish offers the best protection from rust and corrosion. All this is available for a lesser price than other competitive fly reels.
The Sougayilang Fly fishing reel is golden in color. If you want to build a good looking assortment of fishing equipment, this might be the perfect addition to the batch.
Light in weight, and efficient in function, this reel’s drag system is adjustable so that beginners find it easy to use. The arbor is larger than other competitors so more length of fishing line can be held.
Let’s go through the pros and cons to get a final perspective.
- This is one good looking golden coloured fly reel
- The material used for its construction is very strong and durable
- The arbor is large to hold a long length of fishing line
- This reel is resistant to corrosion because of the anodized surface finish and cold forged alloy construction
- This reel is suitable for catching both large and small fishes in freshwater
- This may be the cheapest fly fishing reel promising good quality
- The company offers a five year warranty for this product
- This reel is often misjudged to be of low quality because this isn’t a very famous brand
- This reel can only be used in freshwater
- Some customers have reviewed flaws in the quality control of this product
With a very simple design and light in weight, this reel serves just right to sit back and relax amidst a breezy day on the shore.
This might be the fly reel anyone can actually put to work and depend on. The minimalist design assures the provision of everything that is promised without boasting of anything more.
The Redington Crosswater Fly Reel is constructed using die-cast which makes it durable and strong and it comes with a one year warranty.
The arbor is large enough to hold all the fishing line you need for a trip and it is comparatively easy to replace the spool quickly.
The drag system is mechanical and spring loaded such that beginners find this reel very comfortable. The handle is ergonomic in nature and very well reviewed by customers.
Have a look at the pros and cons so that you choose better
- The construction is durable and strong
- It is designed in a very simple manner with no complications
- The drag system is efficient and mechanical
- The arbor is large to hold extra lengths of fishing reel
- It is quite easy to change the spool in this reel
- The company offers a one year warranty
- This fly reel is dependable to sit back and relax
- This fly reel is not resistant to corrosion
- Some customers have reviewed that the presence of a gap between the main frame and the spoolses the comfort of use
It is easy to order your choice of fly reel from amazon. You must know what features to consider while shortlisting.
If you are looking forward to go fly fishing in freshwaters, all of the above mentioned reels will serve adequately. Your further choice will depend on what type of fish you want to aim at.
Orvis Clearwater Large Arbor II and Sougayilang fly fishing reel are efficient in catching both large and small sized freshwater fishes. While Redington ZERO and Redington Crosswater fly reels serve better in catching small sized freshwater fishes.
You should pay attention to the size of the arbor and the mechanics of the drag you particularly require. If you are a beginner, start from the basic and less complicated fishing equipment.
Remember, your fishing rod and your reel are your hands and your arms in the water. Make sure they are as reliable and dependable.