As we approach seasonal change, we notice a mild need for adventure, and it doesn’t have to be in rough sports always. Walleye anglers engage in a semi-challenging quest for their beloved toothy, sharp trawl.
Walleye fishes may not be especially renowned for their troublesome nature, however that doesn’t mean they’re an easy catch.
These fishes can and will make you have a run for them, so having the best equipment in the market makes the crafty experience a fun ride.
Ask a bait enthusiast what they look for in a quality life bait, and they’ll say : “sensitive, strong and powerful.”
There’s a lot that goes into consideration while fishing, like the fact that walleye’s like any other fish, will resist hence the jig should be strong enough to absorb the shock.
The beginners should be on the lookout for the pressure not just from the fish, but also unpredictable currents and deep dives, should protect the equipment from the sudden jerks.
Things To Keep In Mind While Choosing The Best Walleye Jigging Rods
- Rod and reel combo : A good combo should be your first purchase when you start with your fishing advent. A versatile rod and reel combo with medium to heavy power and fast action should get the job done. On an average a good rod should be 6-7 feet tall and with a medium sized reel, and can effectively serve functions like jigging, finesse, etc.
- Location : Walleye tend to avoid open areas, just like any fish. Finding the area where they tend to hide best is essential for a successful experience. You should be on the lookout for rocky points, coral reefs, sand and mud mounts, isolated islands and large weeds must be the few of the areas to find walleyes.
- Conditions : Walleyes typically have high light sensitivity, so they are most likely found in shallow water, in low light conditions. Otherwise they’d be in dense areas when the sun is soaring. Midnight and post sunset are the times when you’re unquestionably bound to encounter walleyes, and the number drastically increases on a cloudy day rather than in bright daylight.
OUR TOP PICK
This is an extraordinary option compared to other rod alternatives for an angler searching for a top notch rod at a sensible cost.
At the point when you initially get around holding Cadence you may be shocked by the build and compare it with the value, proving it to be worth much more than its cost.
Featuring the stainless steel frame with SIC manages, customizable reels, and effectively flexible in maintaining control and action. It highlights superior grade cork and EVA handles.
- Light in weight and simple dealing with.
- Great material and sensitive.
- Smooth structure and cutting edge design.
- Superior rod with 30 ton carbon material
- Accessible in different lengths from 4’8″ to 7′ feet.
- The action ranges from medium to medium fast and fast.
- Power changes from light, medium-light, medium and medium heavy.
- Not apt for beginners and can get tricky.
- Not ideal for consistent usage.
Our Takeaway is Cadence Spinning Rod CR5 is a well reputed company in the specialty of angling. This multipurpose bar, which can be utilized to pull out freshwater and inshore fishes the same, keeps up to its name. The rod is unmatched in performance, strength and comfort.
Okuma Dead Eye Pro is one of the most compatible rods in the series, on the radar for quite some time since its launch.
This rod is installed with zirconium inserts to avoid scratches. The 30-40 ton carbon structured rod can perform up to 24 walleye actions with its super receptive IM8 blanks designed for specific techniques to deliver exceptional performance.
Okuma delivers rods that amplify your fishing experience with prioritizing excellence.
- Pipe reel seat with customized cork.
- Quick action with medium light to medium power.
- Stainless steel tip to help withstand heavy jerks in water.
- Guide frames are angled to slash probability of line twisting.
- Top reel seat with aluminium thread nut.
- Sensitive yet strong.
- Supported with a one year warranty.
- Not suitable for beginners.
- Drag could be a little more smooth.
Our Takeaway for Okuma Dead Eye Pro is every command is neutrally and simply handled, there’s a swift glide in the rod, making it easy to move. Setting the bait and waiting seems relaxing with Okuma with the new improved, and flexible line. Would recommend this for those looking to be in the sport for the long haul.
Powered with a high ranking SCIV Graphite blank for long lasting resilience, St. Croix can be a definitive life-changer in the game.
St. Croix Legend Tournament Walleye series feature exceptional rods for multifaceted experience that would exceed any expectations set for the angler.
A walleye critic would spend hours to find the perfect rod, debating on the finer parts, geometry, design structure and longevity of the equipment.
Fuji guides equipped with Alconite rings and corrosion check are high specs of the rod. Power featuring from light, medium light, medium, medium heavy and action ranging from moderate fast.
- Light and sensitive.
- Powerful and agile frame.
- Double coated Flex slow cure finish.
- Remains balanced and comfortable with the hook keeper.
- Fuji blank reel seat with in-built hood.
- Cork handle with split grip.
- Fifteen year warranty.
- Meant for fishes up to 5 pounds.
- A little pricey.
Our Takeaway for St. Croix Legend Tournament Rod works excellent as a multipurpose rod with carefully chosen and assembled top notch components. The rod has good taper, impressive design and coating. Aluminium wind check, shock absorber and trim pieces, offer great throw and reflex making it worth every single penny. Offering sizes between 5’9” and 8’ with action ranging from fast to extra fast, you can choose from multiple options.
New and revamped version of the original Ugly Stik introduced in 1976, Shakespeare GX2 promises its customers an unbreakable rod.
Almost all beginners have at least once used this rod, new and old anglers alike.
Improved strength and remodeling aren’t the only notable factors of the new Ugly Stik.
This model uses a blend of high modulus graphite and fiberglass, giving a sleek matte black finish.
- Durability and value of the Stik is noteworthy (especially if you’re new to the game and haven’t had the hang of it yet, it’ll help you hold up.)
- Comfortable and secure grip which prevents rod from slipping out of your hands.
- Reel is straightforward and easy to understand.
- Lightweight and easily transported.
- Reliable and trustworthy, offering various lengths between 4’6” and 9’.
- Double EVA foam grip and pistol style grip handle, for more maneuverability.
- Superior grip and better experience.
- Comparatively, there are better models on the market.
- Considered as a beginners rod.
Our Takeaway for Ugly Stik GX2 is the great quality for an affordable price, you can have more savings in the bank and you can use it for further more options in the future. The GX2 spinning rod has 23 different models, available in various blanks, weights, power, lengths and sizes. Ranging from ultra-light, light, medium, medium-heavy and heavy, you can choose models based on fish species.
The old Classic certainly set the benchmark for rods, however the upgrade has a well-deserved recognition.
Loaded with high-performance features for a strong and viable fishing experience, Graphex sums it all up in its sturdiness.
With a 6’1” medium-heavy rod, offering fast tapering tips and ultra-fast reflex for admirable trap action and control spinning, Graphex makes its mark in the industry.
The blanks are made out of exceptional quality IM6 Graphite.
- Superior features with reliable construction.
- Natural cork handles for all weather grip.
- Fast action and great control.
- Aluminium oxide inserts Original D ring guides with unmatched quality.
- One year limited manufacturer’s warranty.
- Cushioned heel seat and in-built hook keeper.
- Great spring cast and lightweight.
- Single piece build.
- Tip needs more strength.
Our Takeaway for Quantum Graphex is that it offers great features for its price, it’s almost unbelievable that for a price as low as $ 24, the performance is good. The company aims to make equipment that combines the latest technology and performative materials to give anglers the best experience.
Take your walleye angling experience to another dimension with Fenwick’s strong Titanium feather-like frame guides.
They offer more options in different sizes with power running medium-light and medium and action in fast and extra fast.
First class tech uses advanced cork and TAC handles to convey a minimal, secure and comfortable hold even in wet conditions.
Concealed handle configuration reel seat joins functionality.
- Lightweight and easy to handle.
- Fast action means simple maneuverability.
- Smooth casting and retrieval.
- Sensitive and consistent.
- Perfect for perch and trout.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Corks get misaligned when tightened, and need to be adjusted.
Our Takeaway is the rod provides good back bone making it great for catching bigger fishes. Fenwick can easily outclass other products in the similar range with its class and functionality. Elite has a good tip, quick strike and once paired up with a Shimano reel, it is practically unbeatable.
KastKing WideEye has finesse applications with its ripping action and advanced hook setting motion. It supports light to medium-light power and has amazing sensitivity with ultra-fast action.
The line guides are accurately space and straight, with action ranging from moderate, fast and extra fast, and power between medium, medium-light and medium-heavy.
- Flexible and can catch big fishes.
- Great and stable back bone.
- Ultra-fast action.
- Easily distinguishable in water.
- Tangle free K-frame spinning rod and fishing line.
- Quality carbon finish with advanced IM9 fishing rod technology.
- Tip needs more strength.
Our Takeaway for KastKing WideEye Rod is impressive and is up to the mark, there are three types of rods : two are telescopic that give ease of storage and transportation and the other one is perfect for a boat ride. This rod combines responsive, control and ease, perfect for newbies and professionals.
Our Final Thoughts
Simply put, fishing is more than just an idle sport, it needs quick reflex and great equipment certainly sets the bar for a good catch.
There are multiple techniques of walleye fishing, and primary being jigging, trolling and spinning.
Fishes usually have a predictable system that once observed can become the catalyst to your successful fishing exposure.